Sunday, March 11, 2018

How I Shot That - Thirsty Robin

How I Shot That - Thirsty Robin

shot with: E. Zuiko 135mm f3.5 - http://amzn.to/2DjNoeZ
Beschoi OM-M43 Adapter - http://amzn.to/2DjMU8F
Camera Olympus OM-D E-M10ii - http://amzn.to/2Fu1wb8

Robins are the bird that herald in the first breath of spring.  This little guy came up on the middle of this park path in front of me.  All I had was my Olympus OM-D E-M10ii with an old film lens of 135 mm lens stuck on it.

I didn't want to scare off the bird.  I backed up slowly a few steps and soon realized I had to get down low. After getting down low, I needed to do two more things on my camera to make sure I was as sharp as I could get.  First, I activated focus peaking.  Doing that gives an outline around everything that is sharp.  Then I used a magnify button to make sure I can see the finer focus points.

The lense I used was an adapted lens.  It wasn't originally designed for my camera.  It was an old Olympus film lens E.Zuiko 135mm f3.5.  The nice thing about it, the lens has a big focus ring on it, and it is so easy to operate when you have any kind of gloves on your hands.

So I got low.  But for a while, I think the bird was trying to figure me out... neither of us moved.  Then the robin moved closer to the water of this puddle.  I just checked my focus one more time and started shooting.  Eventually, many times the bird got down to drink.  This photo was probably the sharpest I got.  But the shot was still cropped in a bit, even with the equivalent full frame focal length of 270mm.  That's what you get when you need to step back a few.

Technical detail of this photo:  f3.5, ISO 200, 1/640 sec.