Saturday, March 10, 2018

How I Shot That - Returning the Favor, Guitarist and Drummer

How I Shot That - Returning the Favor, Guitarist and Drummer

Lens is the Sony 50mm f1.8 - http://amzn.to/2F96Kcc
Camera is Sony a6000 - http://amzn.to/2ELLKIr
Venue - http://thebrickhouselacrosse.com/
Get this photo
This was maybe a year ago, I had gone out to a new bar that opened.  This was The Brick House with a great space for bands to play.  They have a ton of can and LED lights around the band platform.

Returning the favor (FB page here) has a lot of their own music that is a range from folk/blues to rock/pop with a little reggae sprinkled in for flavor (Reverbnation page here). They have a rather big cast of musicians.  So while They were playing it was a little hard to find a shot that looked good with all of them in it.  Either equipment would hide one of them, or another person did that.

Here is the lead guitarist (also does some vocals) with drummer.  Just the two, but it was a feeling the guitarist was portraying with drummer that caught my attention.  The shot is a little dark with highlights around them for a reason that made love the Black and White treatment I used with this.  Part of what I liked in monochrome was that I had fewer distractions.

But there was another challenge, in Color, the lights were such pure red or blue or green (or whatever color) that it seemed to easily overpower my camera's sensor.  But re-introducing it as B&W gave me all of the detail I saw that night.  And I actually love it.  Specially since it seems so sharp and full of detail to me.

Get this photo
That isn't to say I won't find a color option too!  Such as this one of the drummer with the other guitarist.  This photo also required some treatment in post... but to accentuate some colors but then muting it just a little bit on the drummer, so we can see his face.

But putting that aside, the day I shot these, I couldn't get a decent shot of all of this 5 person band.  Sometimes the reward is gained during a lesson in cutting your losses and in not getting greedy for that 'one' shot.  By moving around and keeping my eyes open I was able to find other wonderful positions.