Monday, March 5, 2018

How I Shot That - I Would Rather be Ice Fishing

How I Shot That - I Would Rather be Ice Fishing

Get this photo
Lens: Olympus Zuiko OM 135mm f3.5
Micro 4/3 Lens Adapter: OM-M4/3 bESCHOI
Camera: Olympus OM-D EM10ii
 Winter in the Upper Mid West is very different than what you would find in many other places.  Here, you may find almost as many people willing to be outside the house as you find inside the house.  That is what I re-affirmed when I went scouting for a portrait shoot this day when trying to use my Olympus OM-D EM10ii with an adapted old film lens, the Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5. 

So, when the weather gets just a little bit warmer, but we still have thick levels of ice, it is time to get those winter portraits of people that do an ice sport or those that just love the outdoors.  This island in the middle of the Mississippi River has a great little lagoon on it.  The water is protected from the currents and freezes really nicely.  Additionally, almost no matter what direction you shoot in, there is going to be a great back ground to shoot . 

When I walked onto the ice, it was very smooth under the snow.  When I went out there, this guy had already setup his ice fishing tent.  I loved this, only in Wisconsin will you find someone who would rather be in a small cramped shelter rather than a huge one you can all see in the back ground.  I mean, since you can't fish from the big one, there really is no contest, right?

Couple of more nice things was his fishing spot was centered nicely with the Gazebo, the trees the lined it, and the little bit of open water you can see in the background.

What's more, I used this camera that I won from a Drink and Click event in Madison, WI.  I haven't really liked this camera until I got these old lenses and adapted them.  That is because the camera has IBIS (in-body image stabilization) where it moves the sensor a little bit to counter any jiggle you make as the camera holder.  Effectively, this is like shooting with a 270mm lens.  And I needed that, because I was practically shooting from the other end of the lagoon. 

I just had to move around to center up the tent/shanty with the gazebo, and no problems.