Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Renting a lens, SGA2017, and Photo

This time I'm prepared. Figure skaters from this area (La Crosse,  WI) are showing up in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

An event known as State Games of America is hosting youth athletes from all over the country in an Olympic style week long event.  Grand Rapids will host most of the events.  And from what I can tell, they almost any sport I can think of... save alpine skiing (cause, August). 

Now, figure skating will be my priority in photography. My wife has 4 students she is putting on the ice. One of them left La Crosse just as I was getting into Photography and I've been hoping to capture him ever since.  And now he is able to do triple jumps. Nicole is going to get him on the ice as his coach from Connecticut couldn't make the trip.

Now for the photo geeky stuff.  

Up till now, I've been using a 50mm f1.8 lens on my Sony a6000.  But, now I'm renting the Sony 70-200 f4 G  from LensRentals.com.  While most sports, 70-200 isn't long enough, it is perfect for basketball and ice rink sized locations. And, since my sensor is APS-C it really goes out an effective 300 mm.  While I would like a better f2.8, it will get the job done.
Just waiting to hear back on my press credentials to cover the events. Can't wait!